Dallas Mobile Home Insurance: Things You Need to Know
FREE Mobile Home Insurance Comparison
Compare quotes from the top home insurance companies and save!
All policies are different, and if you are buying this type of coverage for the first time, make sure that you understand everything about your policy, and read all of the fine print. You need to know what your rights are. In fact, in Texas, there is a Consumer Bill of Rights for homeowners and insurance. Whenever you get a new policy or renew one, your insurer must send you a copy of this.
What Coverage Do You Need?
If you own a mobile home in Dallas, Texas, your homeowner’s insurance will be similar to that of someone who lives in a traditional house. In most cases, your policy will be broken down into the following five categories:
- Dwelling – This will pay you if your home is damaged or ruined by something that is covered. Coverage extends to any out-buildings, including sheds, garages and even fences.
- Personal Property – If any items in your house are stolen, damaged or ruined, your insurance will replace them. Items can include furniture, clothing, appliances and more. If you have high-end items such as jewelry and furs, you will have to purchase additional coverage.
- Liability – If someone is injured while on your property and sues you for damages, liability insurance will pay up to $25,000 in damages. You have the option to purchase up to $1 million in additional liability coverage.
- Medical Payments – Your insurance will pay $500 in medical bills for anyone who is injured while on your property. You may purchase additional coverage, up to $5,000.
- Loss of Use – If you have to relocate temporarily due to damage to your mobile home, your insurance will pay for living expenses. These include housing (hotels and motels), food and other expenses.
Two Policy Types in Dallas, Texas
When you own a mobile home in Dallas, you have options when it comes to insurance. Two types of insurance policies are typically sold in Texas. These are:
- All-Risk – Also referred to as comprehensive or open perils coverage, this is a wide range of protection, and you are covered for pretty much everything that can happen. Anything you are not covered for will be listed.
- Named Perils – There is not as much coverage as an all-risk policy, and the only losses covered are those that are named right in the policy.
You may be wondering what things are going to be covered by your Dallas mobile home insurance. Not all companies offer the same types of coverage, so it is a good idea to shop around to make sure that you are getting the exact coverage you need, and at a competitive rate.
Note: No matter what type of policy you have, even if it is an all-risk policy, you can expect that some damages are going to be excluded from coverage.
- Most policies will cover the following:
- Damage caused by lightning
- Damaged caused by fire
- Vandalism and malicious mischief
- Severe weather damage (there may be certain exclusions if you live along the Gulf Coast)
- Water damage
- Riots and civil commotion
- Vehicles and aircraft
The following things are NOT covered by Dallas, Texas mobile home insurance policies:
- Frozen pipes if you have left the home unoccupied
- Losses if your home is left vacant for a certain period of time
- Regular maintenance
- Wind damage to trees and shrubs
- Mold, unless it is caused by insurable water damage
- Water damage caused by seepage
Other Coverage You May Want
Because not everything is covered by most of these policies, you may wish to purchase additional coverage for certain things. For instance, if you live in an area where there is a lot of severe weather, you should have windstorm and hail insurance. This is offered in all of the coastal counties in Texas, as well as parts of Harris County on Galveston Bay.
You may also want to have:
- Flood Insurance – This is not part of regular homeowner’s insurance, and you will have to purchase a separate policy from the National Flood Insurance Program.
- Earthquake Insurance – Again, this is not covered in traditional policies, and separate insurance is required.
- Additional Coverage – You can get endorsements to your policy. This will raise your limits but remember, your premium will also increase.
- Personal Umbrella Liability Insurance – For added protection of your assets, you can get additional liability coverage in a separate policy.
The cost of Dallas mobile home insurance varies, and it depends on a number of factors. The age and condition of your home can play a role. Remember, you cannot be denied insurance because your home is older or lower in value. The cost to replace your mobile home is another factor. The area where your home is located will also help to determine your insurance premiums.
The best way to get the best rates for Dallas mobile home insurance is to get quotes from as many insurers as possible. Take a look at what the different companies have to offer, and decide based on your needs and their rates. You can get many free quotes online. We use your zip code to get quotes from a number of insurers in your area. You do not have to give us any personal information, just let us know what it is you are looking for in the way of coverage. Go online today to request your free insurance quotes, and get the coverage you need for your mobile home and surrounding property.