Mobile Home Insurance and Home Owner’s Insurance: What’s the Difference?
UPDATED: Feb 11, 2021
It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right coverage choices.
Advertiser Disclosure: We strive to help you make confident car insurance decisions. Comparison shopping should be easy. We are not affiliated with any one car insurance company and cannot guarantee quotes from any single provider.
Our insurance industry partnerships don’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own. To compare quotes from many different companies please enter your ZIP code on this page to use the free quote tool. The more quotes you compare, the more chances to save.
Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about car insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything car insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by car insurance experts.
We need to have many different types of insurance, including auto insurance, health insurance, life insurance and home insurance. In some cases with the latter, this insurance is for mobile homes and not traditional homes. Many people wonder if there are many differences between the two types of insurance policies. For the most part, homeowner’s and mobile home insurance are pretty much the same thing, keeping in mind that those who own mobile homes often have different needs than those who own a regular house.
Your Mobile Home Insurance Coverage Includes…
When you have insurance for your mobile home, you are protected against a number of things. For example, if there is a storm, and your mobile home has severe damages, your costs will be covered, up to the limits set in your policy. Unfortunately, we hear too many stories about damages to mobile homes in storms, but thankfully, there is insurance that takes care of those damages. Mobile home insurance will also cover the contents of your home, even if they are on your person and not actually in the home. Some of the other costs that this type of insurance may cover include:
- Relocation expenses while the mobile home is being repaired after damages from severe weather, fire or natural disasters (this includes hotels/motels and meals)
- Replacement of your personal items, including clothing, jewelry, furniture, collectibles, and more
- If you move your mobile home, and there are damages as a result of the move, your mobile home insurance will cover expenses up to a certain limit
There are a number of things that you need to consider when getting mobile home insurance. Depending on where you live, you may want to make sure that you are protected from the following:
- Severe wind
- Water damage from broken or burst pipes
- Stains from paint, dye, shoe polish, etc.
- Damages caused by stray or wild animals
- Damage from ice or snow
It is also wise to purchase additional insurance coverage, because you just never know what can happen, and you need to make sure that you are prepared for anything. Some of the things that you will need additional coverage for include:
- Emergency removal services
- Emergency repair services
- Fire department services
- Additional living expenses after damages occur
- Damage to trees, shrubs, plants and lawns
- Debris removal following natural disasters
Types of Mobile Home Insurance
When you are shopping for mobile home insurance, you will find a variety of products available, such as:
- Named Peril or All Risk (Comprehensive) – Any perils or dangers listed on this policy, such as fires or storms, are covered. These policies are less expensive than others, but have more restrictions.
- Emergency Removal – If your damages are so severe that you end up having to remove your mobile home from the property, these expenses can be covered.
- Trip Collision – If you move from your mobile home to another location on a regular basis, you may be covered if there is an accident during your travels.
To get your free mobile home insurance quotes, enter in your zip code now.